Learn to make simple, delicious homemade pasta from scratch.
**This post contains affiliate links which I may make a commission at no additional cost to you.**
If your family is anything like ours, then you love carbs. Different breads, cookies- you name it, we love it. But in an effort to not consume a lot of processed foods, this has meant making all the good carby things myself. Enter easy homemade pasta from scratch.
We love pasta in this house. And while I definitely do have and use store-bought pasta, it’s nice to sometimes put in the extra effort to make pasta from scratch. The family can feel the love from the work put into making it all from scratch, and to me, you can’t beat homemade! You can use this pasta recipe for any pasta dish you like. I also use this for homemade chicken noodle, and it’s delicious. Let me show you how:
How to Make Homemade Pasta from Scratch
- Add flour, salt, and eggs to a stand mixer. You can also mix by hand, but it’s easier for me to pop everything into the mixer. Mix on medium-low to combine. Add water as needed to bring the dough together. Allow the mixer to knead the dough on medium speed until a smooth ball forms.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge. I typically make my dough around lunch time then pull it out for supper.
- Cut dough into four pieces. If you’re using a rolling pin to roll your pasta sheets, roll into a large rectangle until it reaches your desired thickness.
- If you’re using a pasta roller attachment, roll your first piece of dough into a small oval. Run it through the roller on setting 1. I do it two times before moving on to the next setting. I run the dough through settings 2, 3, 4, and 5 two times as well before cutting. Do this with all four pieces of dough. You can four the sheets and lay them on a baking sheet as you work. I hang mine on a pasta drying rack. I have even seen people hang them on a clothes drying rack!
- Next, you can run the pasta sheets through the cutter attachment. You can also cut them by hand. Lately, I have enjoyed cutting them by hand. I just flour each end of the sheet well and fold each end in over each other. Then I cut about 1/2 inch slices and unravel the noodles.
- Cook your noodles in boiling water for about 90 seconds to 5 minutes depending on noodle thickness and how done you like your pasta.
Homemade Pasta from Scratch
- Stand mixer
- Pasta roller and cutter attachment
- Rolling Pin
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- water as needed
- Mix flour, salt, eggs, and water as needed in mixer until a smooth dough forms.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Cut dough in 4 pieces. Roll into a small oval if using a roller attachment. If using a rolling pin, roll into a rectangle to your desired thickness.
- Run the dough through the roller on setting 1 two times. Run through settings 2, 3, 4, and 5 two times as well. Set sheet of pasta aside on a well floured baking sheet. Flour the top of the sheet of pasta as well to keep the other sheets from sticking,
- Run sheets of pasta through desired pasta cutter attachment. Or fold the ends of the pasta sheet over each other and slice into 1/2 slices. Unravel noodles.
- Cook noodles in boiling water for 90 seconds- 5 minutes depending on noodle thickness and preferred pasta doneness.
Shop This Post
Have you ever made homemade pasta? What is your favorite pasta dish? Share in the comments below. Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list for every time the blog is updated, and give us a follow on Instagram at AbundantLifeHomestead!